Sunday, June 16, 2013

Happy Father's Day



Fathers. They come in many shapes, ages and levels of love. Some children are lucky to grow up with their dads being their entire worlds. Others grow up seeing their dad on weekends and special holidays. A few grow up without a dad at all.

I was one of those who grew up having multiple father figures in my life because my own didn't do his duty to be a dad to his kids. One "father figure" , I'll call him Coach because every time I think of him, baseball comes to mind. Every year for the Fourth of July my ward (group I meet with for church) would do a Bishop's (pastor) pancake breakfast and baseball. It's just how things worked where I grew up. Coach would encourage all the kids to try baseball. I'm not sports minded but I remember having fun.

Uncle H was another father figure in my life. He had the same amount of kids in his family as I (give or take 1). Uncle H would always come over with a hug for me. He was a Boy Scout for life. Mama and Uncle H did alot of BSA things together, board of reviews, pushing boys to attain Eagle rank... etc. They did so much of it, I honestly couldn't tell you what was what. Mama and Uncle H used to tease about how he was her "big" brother even though age wise, Mama was oldest.

When I was a teenager back in 2003, my church group went on a pioneer trek in the Florida humidity and sticky sand. For three days I was priviliged to have Pa Rockwell as my dad. He and his wife were awesome parents. The teens of the church were divided up into groups and given a set of parents. The experience for that will be recorded a different day.... but Pa Rockwell was a great dad figure that weekend.

Throughout my teenage years and now that I am an adult, there has been one man who has always been there. He came to my high school graduation. He came when there was trouble with my car, or tractor, or bathroom sink. He taught me about pipes and cars. He is the only man in my life that I allow to call me Princess. He came when I was sick, offering comfort and hugs. When he'd come over, Mama would sit in her rocking chair, and we'd cuddle on the couch. He IS my Daddy.
   

Dewey Scott 
is the only Daddy that I could ever wish for.

Happy Father's Day Daddy Scott!

No comments:

Post a Comment