Sunday, May 12, 2013
Never Forget
Nancy Lee Abbott Caudle
10/14/1941-01/22/2013
Nancy Lee Abbott Caudle was an amazing woman. She fought for education, for her children to grow up educated and well rounded. I, being the youngest in the group didn't get the chance to have maps wallpapered in the bathroom like my siblings did. Mom would do summer classes for her children. Classes on the ocean, or shells. She carried this on with her grandchildren. Teaching them about gardening, or sewing. Or building blocks into towers.
Mom had unconditional love for all animals. (except spiders and snakes.) She had two dachshunds in her life. Libeichen (which means love, I think) and Elvis (so named because his hips would wiggle when he ran for Mom). Before children, there was Libeichen. When I was growing up, there was Elvis. She also managed to raise Ringo and Bingo, a set of twin cats. Both were major parts of my life. I learned that cats live with you. You don't own them. They live with you. Dogs on the other hand, were happy to be owned.
Sewing was Mom's passion. She sewed costumes and clothes for her daughters and sons. And a few on the outside too. In my teenage years, Mom turned from sewing clothes to sewing quilts for the elderly. Year after year she would sew 60+ quilts, bibs for a nursing home. Sariah, my sister did sewing quilts for a Personal Progress goal. Mom taught me how to make a skirt pattern without going out and buying a pattern. To this day, when I make skirts now, I use the pattern she taught me in my head to make a skirt. Mom taught me how to sew skirts, blouses, quilts; how to sew on a button and thread a needle. She would laugh and say "I can't fix a tire or car worth anything, but give me a needle and thread, and I can save the world.". Mama had a great sense of humor.
During my high school years, she was always there when I had trouble. First she was in the clinic acting as the nurse. The principal at the time said that since she had raised 8 kids, that was enough qualifcations for her to be the nurse. That was my 9th grade year. When I didn't feel good, or needed to see Mom, I'd ask to go to the nurse's office. More often than not, she'd send me back to class with a hug and kiss. And a note for the teacher to let me be alone.
My mom was the best. During church on Fast Sundays (1st sunday of the month for my non church friends) She would bear her testimony. In her testimony of Jesus, she would say this one thing. "Feast upon the words of Christ." The scriptures were the words of Christ. She wanted you to have a firm grasp upon the words of God and of Christ. That phrase became a smiling thing around the Pace ward. BK would get up before Mom did sometimes and say it before she would. Always smiling. Then Mom would get up and look at BK with her school marm look. She had that affect on people. No matter how bad your day had gone, she would give you a hug. Her hugs smelled like warm vanilla sugar and felt like a warm blanket was wrapped around you. She gave the best hugs.
During her final months of her life, Mom would remind me to read my scriptures daily. She would remind me to pray for healing. At first I thought that meant physical healing for her. I prayed so hard, begging God to heal my mom. I didn't want her to go. It wasn't until Christmas 2012 that the healing wasn't physical but spiritual. Emotional. Mental. My mom was healed spiritually. She was prepared to go to Heaven.
In a way, she is the lucky one. She is now free from temptation and sorrow. I hope and pray that my guardian angel stepped aside so that Mom could fill her place. My Mom is my Guardian Angel. She was my Angel while here on Earth being my Mom. She is now up in heaven doing the same thing only better. Her love is so strong. Her love for Christ is stronger than ever. I say unto you what she has said time and time again....
"Feast upon the Words of Christ. Don't nibble. Don't pinch. Feast."
I love my Mama so much. She wouldn't want me to be saddened by her leaving. Part of me knows that she did not abandon me. It is the other part that thinks that she left me. Mama was my whole world. She taught me so much. I only wish I could have learned more. Forget me Not Mama.
I won't forget you. Out of my siblings, I was blessed to have you the longest. You were there from my first breath to your last one. I love you so much, more than words can describe.
Thank you for being My Mama.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment