Saturday, December 28, 2013

The New Standard of Mormon Dances

Now, this is a rant so be prepared. It's come to my attention, or rather it's been on the back on my mental stove mind thingy. (there's a phrase about that... putting it on the back burner or something) Only in the past few hours it has come back to the forefront of my thoughts.

When growing up in the Mormon church, there were youth dances. I hated going at times, then when I got there, the music either sucked or was freaking amazing. The idea of being a wallflower was daunting. The idea of THAT boy asking me to dance was even more frightening but still I went. What I liked most of the youth dances were themed dances. Not just themed dances, but how those who prepared the dances stuck to the Standards of Youth booklet that each and every one of us had to carry in order to get into the dance. There was none of the following:


  • grinding on the dance floor
  • such loud music that the building's walls were vibrating from the bass
  • lack of themed music
For example: back in California, I went to a themed "1940's" dance. I put it in quotes because there was sadly a lack of 1940's theme anywhere in the room. There were four of us dressed appropriately. The music was so loud, that when I went outside for a breath of air, there was a loud vibration from the music sound system being blasted out. In Cali, the standards of Mormon dances had dropped so signifcantly that it's alarming that the YSA population hasn't dropped. Or perhaps it has and I'm just unaware of it.  The one on one dating standards have all but disappeared and sadly it's not going to come back. How sad it is. That in today's society the standards that we (those in our mid twenties) grew up with have disappeared. I despair for the youth of today, when they graduate.... ugh.

Back to the topic at hand.

1980's dance in Midwest City:
  • from my observations: 
  • grinding..... EW!
  • lack of clothing on some people, especially the boys. I say boys because I was not impressed by the dress standards of the guys who came. Who in the world comes to a CHURCH dance without a shirt?!
  • There were two guys there in such tight pants that my friend Hanna and I were no longer wondering if they had man bits. And I say that because ...... TIGHT PANTS ARE NOT MORMON STANDARD APPROPRIATE! WHAT THE CRAP BUCKET WERE THEY THINKING?!
Like I said, this was a rant. And Rant I shall. *points up at the capital letters and grins cheesey like* 

So back to my rant, and the lack of standards at the dances. I'm highly disappointed to find myself and my friends subjected to the world's grasping fingers of death squeezing away our refuge. The church dances are meant for fun, (yes but modest fun) and a safe place to come and dance. Not waltz through the front door because some YSA is too stupid or ignorant to block the world's temptations out. It's freaking annoying. I hate going to places that have filth as a standard today.

Mormon dances are supposed to be proof that we don't need alcohol and club music to be goofy and to have fun. What I've been seeing.... I won't be attending many more dances. Or if I do... it won't be hosted by the MWC branch.

No comments:

Post a Comment